|Average Customer Review: ( 32 customer reviews )
Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
24 of 24 found the following review helpful:
Disappointing - Didn't Deliver Enough Jan 10, 2001
By G. Paula
Overall I liked the cast of REAL WORLD NEW ORLEANS a lot, so I had high hopes for this DVD. After viewing it, I liked the cast even more, but I was disappointed with the DVD.
First, the good stuff:
1. There are a lot of funny moments on this DVD. The ones that come to mind are the funny (and sexy) Adam and Eve spoof Danny and Kelley did, Melissa's prank phone call to phone star, and the various cast members teasing David with their own versions of "Come On Be My Baby Tonight." (Did anyone but me ever notice that David ripped this song off from "Guys and Dolls?")
2. I also liked the bonus footage of the cast members' audition tapes. We saw bits of this during the casting special, but the DVD provided a lot more.
Here are my gripes:
1. The stuff on there was good, but there wasn't nearly enough of it. This drove me crazy. Not including the bonus stuff, the DVD wasn't even an hour long. It cost way too much for so little. The production company had thousands of hours of tape to draw material from. Why not make the DVD four hours long? I'm sure there'd be no problem filling it with interesting stuff, and it wouldn't even cost them anything extra because the footage already exists. There was no reason for this DVD to be so short.
2. Some of this stuff was so good that I can't believe they left it out of the actual series. For example, in the show, much time was given to Melissa's impressions of her parents. Unless you've viewed the DVD, you'd never know that Melissa's parents came to visit her in New Orleans. Yes, we got to meet the often-imitated Mercy and Shorty. They were fun, and I definitely wanted to see even more of them.
3. The box said that the DVD contained 100% new material. Although the vast majority of it was new, it wasn't all new. That's a minor gripe.
Summary: Overall, I liked what was on there, but I didn't feel like I got enough for what I paid.
39 of 42 found the following review helpful:
Surprisingly Funny! Oct 17, 2000
By John Aldridge
This video of extra scenes from the New Orleans cast is really pretty funny! Although the cast hasn't been the best cast ever this year, they seem most real when they're setting up the funniest moments in this video. Julie surprised me in this video. You get to see an even wilder side of her that you don't see much in the episodes on tv. There are actually some surprises in this video with flirty segments on Danny & Kelley and Julie & Matt. Fans of Danny will be happy too because he gets a lot of attention on this video. I don't have the DVD but I think that it has a lot of extra stuff on it like clips from their casting tapes which would be cool. I highly recommend it!
14 of 15 found the following review helpful:
You'll Laugh Your A** Off! Nov 07, 2000
By Real World Watcher
This movie is definitely worth the money. You get some behind the scenes footage that is absolutely hysterical. David's "Come on be my baby tonight" song....nuff said. The only disappointing part was that the nudity, cursing, and obscene gestures were still blurred out...aw well. Overall, a definite buy!
9 of 9 found the following review helpful:
Fun DVD...Leaves You Wanting More Jan 02, 2001
This is a fun look-back at the Real World - New Orleans. As others have mentioned, this is not an "uncensored" video -- but merely "unseen" footage as the cast reminisces about their stay at the Belfort mansion. The cast was clearly much more relaxed and showed their sense of humor (particularly Matt and David who were a little more guarded during the show and are paired together as a "team") in the DVD. The true "star" of this DVD (and the entire series) is Melissa. She will make you laugh until you are almost crying -- even in her melodramatic moments. The call to On Star (vehicle global positioning assistance) as she imitates her mother is particularly hilarious.
The "bonus" features are a bit lame -- a slide-show tour of Belfort and advertisements for Real World-Hawaii and "How to Audition" for the Real World. There are snippets from the cast auditions tapes that are a bit more interesting. My only complaint is that the entire DVD (only 55 minutes) IS just "bonus" material. In this age of jam-packed DVDs, it would have been nice to have the entire series (especially to catch up on those episodes you may have missed) and what is on this DVD presented as the extra "bonus" material. One thinks just Melissa outtakes could have filled an hour's worth of material. Overall, an enjoyable DVD for fans of the series and particularly this cast which I felt was one of the best groups over the past several Real World seasons.
8 of 8 found the following review helpful:
Something for any Real World fan! Nov 13, 2000
By Emily Chen
Now being "The Real World" junkie that I am, I got this video almost the day it came out! However, I never thought it would be so hilarious! Melissa's impersonations of her parents, what really happend between David and Laterrian in Africa, etc. Everything on this tape is great! And you though Hawaii was good? Well, I'm telling you folks, this one is better! = )
See all 32 customer reviews on Amazon.com